Community Engagement Week
COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT WEEK
For class this week you are to complete one of the activities listed below. This is an assignment worth 25 points. Student must be post on our class website/blog by Friday @ noon or email me (see instructions below).
1) Write a 500-word (minimum) letter to the editor about a political issue that is relevant to our class. See the format below. Post this on the class blog by Friday @ noon.
2) Ask 5 (new) people about their perspectives and experiences regarding race, gender, sexuality, ageism, classism (and other forms of difference). Write their responses down in your notes. With these responses write a poem to tell their stories. Be creative in your efforts to seek justice! Post this on the class blog by Friday @ noon.
3) Organize yourself a at least two other students. By using your bodies and with some agility, make a heart shape, peace sign (or any other positive symbol) with your body in a public place (campus or community). Notice people’s reactions. Take a picture of what you did. Email me @ firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday @ noon.
4) Make a 1-minute video with your VOICE! State your views about a political or social issue, tell us about the issue and what your opinions are about probable solutions. Your views expressed must include reliable (news or academic) sources. For Example – “The Mayday March inspired people all over the country to stand up for workers rights. The LA times reported that countries all over the world celebrated workers rights and the right for just employment and respect for all people.” Post it online on the class blog
5) Research your city, school, county or state representatives. Create a detailed contact list include their 1) position, 2) committees and 3) political party/other affiliations. Post this on the class blog by Friday @ noon.
6) Everybody loves Youtube music videos! Music has been a point of inspiration for many people around the world. Find 5 (minimum) music videos that relate to different political issues. Post the link to the video and the issue that it relates to on our class blog. Sharing this music can help educate people on issues and ideas that may not be easily expressed. See the example below so you know what to post on the class blog. Post this on the class blog by Friday @ noon.
(Example: Lupe Fiasco – Words I never Said/ www.youtube.com/watch?v=22l1sf5JZD0 / Issue: Complacency, Racism, Bullying) Post this on the class blog by Friday @ noon.
4/27/2013 09:18:11 am
1. Raymond B. Egan and Gus Kahn- "Ain't We Got Fun" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y041-eT6QrI)
4/29/2013 01:47:11 pm
1. Blue Scholars "Back Home"
4/30/2013 04:22:09 am
5/1/2013 06:28:12 am
Politik - Coldplay
Dave Anson Ruslim
5/1/2013 06:30:05 am
1) Imagine- John Lennon
5/1/2013 06:47:01 am
1. The Beatles - Blackbird/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7epRPz0LGPE / Issue: Racism, Slavery
5/1/2013 05:27:45 pm
Joy Dela Cruz
5/2/2013 04:42:30 am
Sum 41 – We’re All to Blame/ http://youtu.be/aUultIb2pPc / Issues: War, President
5/2/2013 01:12:24 pm
Letter to the Editor:
5/2/2013 06:36:13 pm
5/2/2013 11:07:08 pm
John Mayer- "Waiting on the World to Change"
5/4/2013 03:20:00 pm
1) Eminem - Lose Yourself
5/5/2013 08:07:01 am
Wai Seng Ma
5/5/2013 02:01:21 pm
1) Michael Jackson - Heal The World
5/5/2013 06:16:07 pm
7/25/2013 04:29:59 am
#1 Macklemore "Same Love"
Leave a Reply.
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.