Wednesday, May 2, 2012
COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT DAY
During our class period you are to complete two of the activities listed below. All items must be posted on our class website/blog by Friday @ noon. Instructions are below. We will not be meeting in class today as you have a “field trip” to complete these activities.
This is an exercise in community building, information gathering and learning to navigate the system that we live in.
NOTE: Turn in all assignments to the faculty drop box outside of ADM 101.
1) Write a 500-word (minimum) letter to the editor about a political issue that is relevant to our class. See the format below. Post this on the class blog by Friday @ noon.
2) Ask 5 (new) people about their perspectives and experiences regarding race, gender, sexuality, ageism, classism (and other forms of difference). Write their responses down in your notes. With these responses write poetry to tell their stories. Be creative in your efforts to seek justice! Post this on the class blog by Friday @ noon.
3) Organize yourself a at least two other students. By using your bodies, and with some agility, make a heart shape, peace sign (or any other positive symbol) with your body in a public place (campus or community). Notice people’s reactions. Take a picture of what you did. Email it to me Crystallee.email@example.com. SUBJECT LINE: Picture/Community Engagement Day.
4) Make a 1-minute video with your VOICE! State your views about a political or social issue, tell us about the issue and what your opinions are about probable solutions. Your views expressed must include reliable (news or academic) sources. For Example – “The Mayday March inspired people all over the country to stand up for workers rights. The LA times reported that countries all over the world celebrated workers rights and the right for just employment and respect for all people.” Email it to me Crystallee.firstname.lastname@example.org. SUBJECT LINE: Video/Community Engagement Day.
5) Research your city, school, county or state representatives. Create a detailed contact list include their 1) position, 2) committees and 3) political party/other affiliations. Post this on the class blog by Friday @ noon.
6) Everybody loves Youtube music videos! Music has been a point of inspiration for many people around the world. Music gives us a translatable method to display our feelings. Find 5 (minimum) music videos that relate to different political issues. Post the link to the video and the issue that it relates to on our class blog. Sharing this music can help educate people on issues and ideas that may not be easily expressed.
(Example: Lupe Fiasco – Words I never Said/ www.youtube.com/watch?v=22l1sf5JZD0 / Issue: Complacency, Racism, Bullying)
5/2/2012 12:30:37 am
post your work as comments :)
5/4/2012 02:21:04 am
Immortal Technique - Leaving the Past! (racism, war on terror, slavery to money and ideals like religion)
5/4/2012 02:40:31 am
UNITED STATES SENATOR
5/2/2012 09:23:05 am
Bob Dylan's classic about the civil rights movement.
5/3/2012 07:05:42 am
5/3/2012 12:46:08 pm
5/3/2012 01:39:39 pm
My California State Representatives
5/3/2012 02:33:07 pm
5/3/2012 03:44:56 pm
6) System of a Down-Deer Dance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkkOQjK71Ss) - police brutality, mostly.
5/3/2012 03:55:37 pm
dan le sac vs Scroobius Pip – Letter from God to Man / http://youtu.be/e4467CI4y0M / Issues: Religion used to justify destruction and violence, war, depletion of natural resources
5/3/2012 03:57:27 pm
The last chunk got cut off:
5/3/2012 04:02:40 pm
5/3/2012 05:22:59 pm
The Who - "Won't Get Fooled Again" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp6-wG5LLqE Talking about government that can no longer fool its citizens
5/3/2012 06:39:27 pm
1). Position: Jim Beall, 24th district CA state assembly, 100 Paseo De San Antonio Suite 319 San Jose, CA 95113 Tel: (408) 282-8920
5/4/2012 02:04:47 am
2) 5 peoples thoughts into a poem. I did my best p:
5/4/2012 02:06:03 am
6) These are 5 songs I enjoy! I think they relate to our issues.
5/4/2012 03:57:33 pm
6) Here are 5 songs I enjoy
5/4/2012 04:35:29 pm
5) My County Representative
5/7/2012 05:44:37 am
Nazanin - "Someday"
5/7/2012 06:19:13 am
6/20/2012 12:53:57 pm
Leave a Reply.
Community Engagement Day!
Students must post their written items on this blog! This will be your record of activity! Email pics and videos and I will post them ASAP...unless you can figure out how to post them here.