Community Engagement Week
Week Three is Community Engagement Week
COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT WEEK
For class this week you are to complete one of the activities listed below. This is an assignment worth 25 points. Student must be post on our class website/blog by Friday @ noon or email me (see instructions below).
1) Write a 500-word (minimum) letter to the editor about a political issue that is relevant to our class. See the format below. Post this on the class blog by Friday @ noon.
2) Ask 5 (new) people about their perspectives and experiences regarding race, gender, sexuality, ageism, classism (and other forms of difference). Write their responses down in your notes. With these responses write a poem to tell their stories. Be creative in your efforts to seek justice! Post this on the class blog by Friday @ noon.
3) Organize yourself a at least two other students. By using your bodies and with some agility, make a heart shape, peace sign (or any other positive symbol) with your body in a public place (campus or community). Notice people’s reactions. Take a picture of what you did. Email me @ email@example.com by Friday @ noon.
4) Make a 1-minute video with your VOICE! State your views about a political or social issue, tell us about the issue and what your opinions are about probable solutions. Your views expressed must include reliable (news or academic) sources. For Example – “The Mayday March inspired people all over the country to stand up for workers rights. The LA times reported that countries all over the world celebrated workers rights and the right for just employment and respect for all people.” Post it online on the class blog
5) Research your city, school, county or state representatives. Create a detailed contact list include their 1) position, 2) committees and 3) political party/other affiliations. Post this on the class blog by Friday @ noon.
6) Everybody loves Youtube music videos! Music has been a point of inspiration for many people around the world. Find 5 (minimum) music videos that relate to different political issues. Post the link to the video and the issue that it relates to on our class blog. Sharing this music can help educate people on issues and ideas that may not be easily expressed. See the example below so you know what to post on the class blog. Post this on the class blog by Friday @ noon.
(Example: Lupe Fiasco – Words I never Said/ www.youtube.com/watch?v=22l1sf5JZD0 / Issue: Complacency, Racism, Bullying) Post this on the class blog by Friday @ noon.